Snaggle decided pretty early on that she wanted to be a witch this year. She was with me at the fabric store one day this summer and instantly took a liking to this purple witch fabric. Luckily, it was only like $2 a yard, so I bought a few yards and thought I’d figure out what to do with it later. I had no idea how to make a witch’s outfit, and my clothes sewing skills are still in infancy. But I hoped that I could put together some type of tunic and have her wear a black shirt under it. I poked around online, but didn’t find a quick and simple tunic tutorial, and ultimately I put it together myself. Here’s how I did it.
First, I folded the fabric in half vertically and then in half again horizontally. Then I drew a half circle at the spot where the two folds met. You can (just barely) see my chalk line drawn in the photo below.
Next, I refolded the fabric again the same way I had done for cutting the head opening. I drew another curve shape at the other side of the fabric (this is the left side of the photo below but is hard to see). Because the fabric is folded twice, I was able to cut through both armholes simultaneously, and make sure the armholes had a similar shape. Cutting the armhole wasn’t a necessary step, but I was trying to give some shape to the armholes.
Then I just went to my sewing machine and sewed a straight stitch down from the underarm to the bottom of the tunic.
As I sit here writing this, I’m really wishing I had taken more — and better — photos. These tutorials are harder than they look, but I’m a work in progress and will try to do better. By this time, my eager little helper was getting antsy and wanted to move on to something else. I practically had to do some pro wrestling moves to get her to let me do the finishing touch, which was to cut a jagged edge into the bottom of the tunic, to give it a raggedy, witchy feel. As you can imagine, it would have been difficult to get photos of that.
Once the tunic was done, I happened upon the perfect tights for her — at Walmart of all places. I try to stay out of that place, but we needed to make an urgent pitstop for one of the girls one day, and it was the most convenient store. The black and purple tights and the witches hat jumped out at me. As is Walmart’s way, the prices were (suspiciously) cheap, and I gave up my plans to try to make this hat and purchased one instead. Here’s a picture of her riding the Metro in the tights.
You can sort of see the jagged bottom in the picture below. I also crocheted a black belt to give some shape to the tunic. It was pretty shapeless, but she was happy with it, and that’s what was most important. Stay tuned for another tutorial for the witch’s broomstick!